Membership Information

How do I update my membership information?

You may update your membership information through the SMAC website via or the SMAC mobile app.

I just changed my marital status. How do I apply for a new card with my new surname?

Go to the SMAC website via or the SMAC mobile app and file for a replacement or visit the Customer Service Counter of any SM Store branch and present a valid ID reflecting both your old and new surnames. Replacement fee is P80.00.

I no longer want to receive notifications, what should I do?

To stop receiving notifications from SMAC - log in to your account on the website or mobile app and go to Account > Settings > Notifications.
You will no longer receive sale, discount and offer related notifications.
Account notifications such as renewal reminder and points expiry notice will still be sent to your registered contact details.